SCHOOL OF MUSIC - COLLEGE OF THE ARTS
Director, School of Music
California State University, Fullerton seeks a Director of the School of Music, at the rank of tenured Associate Professor or Professor, who is an outstanding artist/scholar/teacher and an experienced administrator with a forward-looking vision.
- Administer all aspects of a complex School of Music including: budgetary, record keeping, scheduling, operations, faculty members’ assigned time, University policies and regulatory processes.
- Work with the Dean and other Arts Chairs to support all aspects of the College of the Arts.
- Serve as an advocate for the School of Music to the administration, University, arts community, and public at large.
- Oversee all aspects of student recruitment and maintenance of a strong music student body.
- Interact with Admissions and Records (and other academic support units as necessary) regarding student applications, entrance into the University, and timely graduation.
- Administer all aspects of School of Music scholarship funds and awards as well as Non-Resident Tuition Fee Waivers (NRTFW), with the consultation and advice of music faculty.
- Serve as a strong advocate in fundraising for the School of Music scholarship endowments and for other financial needs.
- Organize and monitor all work of the Department Personnel Committee (DPC).
- Recruit and support a diverse full-time and adjunct faculty and staff.
- Organize and oversee the student advising process.
- Terminal degree in a music discipline and a record of excellence in scholarly and/or creative activity in an area represented in one of the disciplines in the CSUF School of Music.
- Currently tenured as Associate Professor of Music or Professor of Music.
- Evidence of strong leadership, communication, organizational, and management skills.
- Evidence demonstrating the ability to work effectively with a diverse constituency, including students, faculty, staff, and administration, as well as the public.
- Evidence of effective strategies for recruitment and retention of highly qualified music majors.
- Evidence of successful fundraising activities.
- Substantial experience in budgetary matters.
- Knowledge of and understanding of the California State University system’s policies and procedures.
- Experience working with the National Association of Schools of Music accreditation process.
- Experience managing a large administrative and technical staff.
- Experience working within a collective bargaining environment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU.
Rank & Salary
This is a full-time, 12-month appointment, and is a tenured position at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor. Salary is competitive and commensurate with rank, experience, and qualifications. For a description of benefits, go to: http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
July 1, 2018
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 9734BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Cover letter relating your experience to the qualifications for this position, defining your strengths with regard to the position, and discussing your educational vision for 21st-century music students.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Diversity Statement.
- List of names and contact information for three professional references.
- Additional materials may be required of applicants whose applications are to be given further consideration.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Dale A. Merrill, Dean, College of the Arts at email@example.com, with the subject line “Director, School of Music Search” or call (657) 278-3256.
Application review will begin immediately. To be assured of full consideration, please submit all materials by December 4, 2017.